This is What Affordable Housing with Services Looks Like
At six affordable senior communities in southern California, ECS and Creative Housing & Services are providing programs that focus on the physical, intellectual, social and spiritual needs of 500 residents. In this setting, the average income is $854 per month, one-third of which is paid in rent.
If you happen to live in one of these communities, you may have your day cut out for you! Should you go to the Music & Movement class, where the friends are as fun as the moves? Or is it Tuesday, when you will board the van and head to the children’s center where you can help at the craft table or hold a sleeping baby?
In addition to fitness and inter-generational activities, you can choose from a crowded calendar of on-site offerings.
- Take a wellness class for help with chronic illness
- Have your sense of balance assessed
- Join the tile painting class or make a potluck dish
- Pick up some low-cost produce at Healthy Harvest Market
- Join the Mediation and Journaling class
- Help salvage denim: volunteer with Sole Hope
- Have your eyes examined by the UCLA Mobile Eye Clinic
- Have your blood pressure checked without leaving home
As older adults, many of us are challenged by fixed incomes, health obstacles and isolation. But, thanks to a collaborative approach and a commitment to giving back, this is what aging-in-place looks like in the affordable senior living communities managed by ECS and Creative Housing & Services.